November 9, 2009

The Fact in Fiction

I usually get strange looks when I tell people that I want to spread the truth through my writing, considering the fact that I write primarily fiction. How can you share the truth through made-up stories set in made-up worlds?

For a secular writer, that would be a legitimate question. But for a Christian writer, the answer is simple. True Christians are grounded, firmly anchored in the Truth. In John 14:6 Jesus tells us that He is the Truth. So the Truth is in us; it is part of us; the Truth is what saves us. In Matthew 12:34 Jesus said that our words come from what is in our hearts. So if we fill our hearts with the Truth, it will be reflected in our writing … even if we’re writing fiction.

Jesus used fiction to communicate the truth – just read the parables. The Sower, the Good Samaritan, the Prodigal Son, and others – all fiction used to make a powerful point.

Look at the Chronicles of Narnia. How many Christians can read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and say that there is no truth in it?

I’m not saying that your writing should all be allegorical. My novel, Son of the Shield is not allegorical, but it is nonetheless a story of rebellion, repentance, redemption and forgiveness – the forgiveness of both God and Man. There is truth in that.

If the truth – the real truth – is embedded and rooted in your heart, it will come out in your writing.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you posted this, because it's been on my mind a lot lately. I've especially been trying to examine my own writing to see if it is glorifying to God, edifying for others, and beneficial for me. I have trouble sometimes making fantasy theocentric, and even harder, Christ-centered, because Jesus did not die in fantasy worlds, and it's hard to write a Jesus character without plagiarising someone else.

    Ha. Just pulled a British spelling there. :)

    Anyway, it's something I'm still developing, as I try to improve my writing style and skills in general.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope this post helped you! I'm working on a lot of the same things you mentioned. And it can be tough to make a fantasy world revolve around Christ. Heather and I have had many discussions on that. I'm still learning too, so I'm sure there will be more posts of this nature in the future! ; ) In fact, what you just said about making sure your writing is glorifying to God, and making fantasy theocentric, just gave me an idea for another post! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts on this post? I'd love to hear your comments, questions, or ideas, even if you don't agree with me. Please be aware that I reserve the right to delete comments that are uncivil or vulgar, however.