December 31, 2009

Mission Accomplished!

It's been a long haul and not without sacrifice, but I am thrilled to announce that Draft 1 of my first novel, Son of The Shield is finished!!!
After 2 years and 10 months of plotting, planning, developing, erasing, rewriting, and driving my family crazy, Draft 1 was declared complete at 7:25 last night! Hurrah!
Oddly enough, in spite of the countless times throughout the process that I told myself I would sleep in and not even think about SOTS for at least a week after finishing it, I hardly slept at all last night and this morning I find myself anxious to begin work on Draft 2. But I am going to force myself to take at least a little break - not from writing, of course, just from SOTS.
Then it's on to Draft 2, which will consist mostly of rearranging scenes and filling in the trouble spots that I sort of glossed over in my rush to finish Draft 1. Draft 3 will be where the detail work starts (making sure all of my subplots wrap up, tracking character development, subtexting conversations, etc.) Draft 4 is the one that goes to the editors!
Now, to read the whole story, y'all will just have to wait until the book comes out (*evil laugh*). But, for all of you "Lair Dwellers," I've got all kinds of special insider information coming up - perhaps even a sneak preview if you ask very nicely ; ) So stick around - the adventure is just beginning!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Good for you :) I hope it gets published. And, you said if we ask very nicely... we... might get... some insider information? (big puppy dog eyes). Have you ever heard of yWriter? It's a completely free novel writing program that lets you organize your characters, locations, all sorts of things, as well as writing your story. It doesn't give you suggestions or anything, it just helps you organize. It's really good. I also use something called PressWriter, which comes with PrintShop. I don't think they make it any more. You can find yWriter by googling SpaceJock software. All you have to do is download it, and I've never had any problems with it except that sometimes it doesn't count my words right. Again, great work!---Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm asking really, really, really REALLY nicely...PLEASE???? Sneak peak, pretty please with a huge dollap of sugar and whipped cream on top? LOL--that's great, Mary. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts on this post? I'd love to hear your comments, questions, or ideas, even if you don't agree with me. Please be aware that I reserve the right to delete comments that are uncivil or vulgar, however.