December 20, 2012

Best Reads of 2012 (In my humble opinion.)

I've never done one of these posts before, and in all honesty it's making me very nervous since I'm absolutely positive I'll overlook a fabulous read that deserves mention. But, here goes anyway.
*Please note* Just because a title is listed under Best of 2012 does not mean necessarily that it was published in 2012. I just happened to read it in 2012. Enjoy!


Category 1: Non-Fiction
Title: Fearless - The Undaunted Courage and Ultimate Sacrifice of Navy SEAL Team SIX Operator Adam Brown
Author: Eric Blehm
Genre: Military/Biography
Publisher: Waterbrook
Pages: 253
Why is it a Best Read? This book made me laugh, made me mad enough to punch somebody, and brought me to tears. The story it tells is beyond inspiring, it is powerful. Every American adult should read this book. Period. Click Here to read my full review.


Category 2: Fiction
Title: The Legend of the Firefish
Author: George Bryan Polivka
Genre: Christian Fantasy
Publisher: Harvest House Publishers
Pages: 347
Why is it a Best Read? This book hooked me at page 1 and didn't let go for a minute. The fantasy world created by the author is very unique, full of depth and color. While a bit dark at times, the story nonetheless contains glimmers of unmistakeable light sure to intrigue the Christian reader. If you like Pirates of the Caribbean, you will love The Legend of the Firefish. Click Here to read my full review.


Category 3: Humor
Title: They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?
Author: Patrick F. McManus
Genre: Outdoor/Humor
Publisher: Owl Publishing
Pages: 228
Why is it a Best Read? You can always count on Pat McManus for hearty laughs and unforgettable stories, but this book is the best one of his I've read since A Fine and Pleasant Misery. It had my entire family rendered helpless, laughing so hard none of us could breathe, much less move. I think 'Sneed' was my favorite story of all the ones in this book - the author's hilarious recollections of the game warden he lived in fear of as a child. Click Here to read my full review.

~*~

I'm going to be taking a break from blogging for the next several days. I want to really relax and enjoy my time with family to the fullest, so I'm eliminating any and all distractions I possibly can. I may post again at the end of next week, or I may not be back until after the first of the year, we'll just have to see.

So until then, have a blessed and very merry Christmas!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of those. I will have to check them out.

    BTW- If you're interested, I have 7 giveaways going at my site right now if you want to pop over. Hope you have a great week!

    Diane :O)
    www.dianeestrella.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw The Legend of the Firefish years ago in a book store and wanted to read it, and then forgot about it. Now I've found it again, thanks to you! Now I can add it to my list, whence it will be less easily forgotten.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts on this post? I'd love to hear your comments, questions, or ideas, even if you don't agree with me. Please be aware that I reserve the right to delete comments that are uncivil or vulgar, however.