October 13, 2011

L. M. Montgomery in Quotes

Lucy Maud Montgomery ~ November 30, 1874 - April 24, 1942
Author of 20 novels, including the world-renowned Anne of Green Gables series (and my personal favorite, Emily of New Moon).

*
On Life and Human Nature:

"I doubt if I shall ever have time to read the book again--there are too many new ones coming out all the time which I want to read. Yet an old book has something for me which no new book can ever have--for at every reading the memories and atmosphere of other readings come back and I am reading old years as well as an old book."

"Truth exists, only lies have to be invented."

"A girl who would fall in love so easily or want a man to love her so easily would probably get over it just as quickly, very little the worse for wear. On the contrary, a girl who would take love seriously would probably be a good while finding herself in love and would require something beyond mere friendly attentions from a man before she would think of him in that light."

"Youth is not a vanished thing but something that dwells forever in the heart."

"It's been my experience that you can nearly always enjoy things if you make up your mind firmly that you will."

"A broken heart in real life isn't half as dreadful as it is in books. It's a good deal like a bad tooth, though you won't think that a very romantic simile. It takes spells of aching and gives you a sleepless night now and then, but between times it lets you enjoy life and dreams and echoes and peanut candy as if there were nothing the matter with it."

"It's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it?"

"At seventeen dreams do satisfy you because you think the realities are waiting for you farther on." (from Anne of Avonlea)

"One can't get over the habit of being a little girl all at once." (from Anne of Avonlea)

On Writers and Writing:

"If it's in you to climb, you must--there are those who must lift their eyes to the hills--they can't breathe properly in the valleys." ~Mr. Carpenter (speaking of the unexplainable drive to write, in Emily of New Moon)

"My pen shall heal, not hurt." ~Emily Starr (from Emily of New Moon)

"The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."

"You have the itch for writing born in you. It's quite incurable. What are you going to do with it?"

"All pioneers are considered to be afflicted with moonstruck madness."

5 comments:

  1. Lovely quotes! I'm an LM Montgomery fan despite the weirdness that creeps into some of her works.

    Have you read The Blue Castle? It's one of her few books I hadn't read until recently, and I quite enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! Do you mind if I link to your post on my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, Sarah, I haven't read The Blue Castles yet, simply because it's never come across my path, but I plan on reading it one of these days. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you'll like it. It was one of her few books written for adults, so it has a slightly different tone, but all the charm of her other works. Since I've read most of her books, I was excited to discover one new to me. :)

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts on this post? I'd love to hear your comments, questions, or ideas, even if you don't agree with me. Please be aware that I reserve the right to delete comments that are uncivil or vulgar, however.