November 3, 2012

Journaling, Day 3 of NaNoWriMo

Total Word Count so far: 4,836

Yes, I'm already a bit behind schedule. Fridays are my busiest day of the week, so Day 2 falling on a Friday was rather unfortunate. I think I'll be able to get all caught up before bed tonight, though. My characters have already surprised me a few times, which is interesting, especially this early in the story, but I think it's kind of cool. Fu-han, who I had anticipated being a very aloof, only-speak-when-spoken-to kind of guy, has turned out to have a hangup with stating the obvious, and offering advice whether it's been requested or not. Cole, who I had imagined as a down-to-earth, hard working, all-around good kid, has turned out to have huge problems with arrogance. Fortunately, he knows that he has a huge ego and that that is problem, and he's trying very hard to learn to keep it controlled, but the results are mixed. And Thaddeus... ugh, Thaddeus! My main character has wasted no time in revealing the fact that he is the main character not only of The Sword Masters of St. George's Academy, but also a whole series of steampunk novels. Lovely. Don't get me wrong, Thaddeus is a great character and I'm really enjoying writing him so far, but the last thing in the world I need right now is more story ideas packed into this little noggin of mine. So Thaddeus and I are going to have some words about the situation, and we'll see what happens.

How is NaNo going for the rest of you who are participating?

1 comment:

  1. Phae, Cariya, and Lirel are all characters I've had before and are finally consistent.

    Kame, however, hasn't been around long enough to settle down. He's supposed to be conflicted-but-eventually-good character, but he's turned out to be this tall, handsome slick-talker who can't see past his own ego. X)

    And Jyera is finally behaving. He kept acting like a good-guy-who-might-be-a-bad-guy ...and has settled once and for all that he's a bad guy.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts on this post? I'd love to hear your comments, questions, or ideas, even if you don't agree with me. Please be aware that I reserve the right to delete comments that are uncivil or vulgar, however.