June 10, 2011

Announcements, and a bit of fun for the weekend.

As usual, the Lair will be off the air for the weekend, and back on Monday. I hope everyone has a great weekend. If you need something to read, I've got a new short story published on Avenir Eclectia, and I've just started posting a new fantasy serial on ApricotPie, so be sure to check those out. And, don't forget, the fifteenth of the month is approaching, so a new chapter of Falls the Shadow will be going up at The Lost Scribes. Don't miss it!
Lastly, just for fun:
Recently, while going through a box of my late grandfather's belongings, I found a newspaper clipping with the following poem on it. As writers, all of whom wrestle with the beast we call the English language from time to time, I thought you would enjoy it.

Try and Stop Me
By Bennet Cerf
A European student, sadly confused by English spelling, submitted this poem hopefully to his professor of literature:

The wind was rough
and cold and blough;
She kept her hands inside her mough.
It chilled her through,
her nose turned blough,
and still the squall the faster flough.
And yet although,
there was no snough,
the weather was a cruel fough.
It made her cough
(please do not scough);
She coughed until her hat blew ough.

And all the writers said "Amen". : )
Have a great weekend, everybody!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, that was too funny! Especially when you said,
    'And all the writers said, "Amen!"'
    It reminded me of something my brother and I will says sometimes:
    'And all the old ladies say, 'Amen!''
    There was an episode of I Love Lucy that has something similar to that poem. Lucy has her husband reading a bedtime story, to practice for when they have their baby, and it has all those words ending in 'ough'. It's funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found it as funny as I did, Laura Elizabeth.
    I can't believe this, but I haven't seen the episode of I Love Lucy you mentioned. When my grandmother's mind started slipping before she died, she got on an I-Love-Lucy kick and we must have watched hundreds of episodes together, over and over. Then again, maybe it was just a few episodes, over and over and over and over and over...
    Anyway, glad you enjoyed the poem!

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts on this post? I'd love to hear your comments, questions, or ideas, even if you don't agree with me. Please be aware that I reserve the right to delete comments that are uncivil or vulgar, however.