November 3, 2011

Journaling, Day 3 of NaNo

Word Count so far: 5020

It's only Day 3 and already I feel like I'm barely staying afloat. I'm on schedule, but it's been a battle. I think I chose a storyline that involved way too much character turmoil and inter-character relationship stuff and all that. The story I did last year had a lot more action in it. Of course, this one may turn out to have a lot of action--the whole midsection of the plot is still a great big vacant blob in my head right now, so it may turn out to be action-packed, I just don't know.
As for my characters, they're still turning out to be different than I thought they would be--for the most part. Brant is exactly like I had imagined him, but Grayson (who was supposed to be a calm, laid-back, do-what-has-to-be-done sort of guy) seems a little panicky, and Queen Edea (who I had imagined as an insecure, people-pleaser type) so far seems like she has a lot of guts... maybe even a bit of attitude. That ought to make things really interesting when her advisers start usurping her authority later on in the novel. It might just turn out to be a lot of fun to write.
I guess we'll see! : )

Have you learned anything surprising or unexpected about your story or characters yet?

2 comments:

  1. I learned about ten minutes ago that the invading bad guys actually took the good guys to the evil fortress instead of setting up in town. Good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, there have to be good analogies to describe writing in this way: balancing on a skateboard zooming over terrain you can't fully see? Anyway, I did NaNo once and it was a good experience. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts on this post? I'd love to hear your comments, questions, or ideas, even if you don't agree with me. Please be aware that I reserve the right to delete comments that are uncivil or vulgar, however.